Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Hello from Tuesday

I apologize for the hiatus--it turns out that blogging is very time-consuming. (Who knew :-) I could make a long list of things I have not been able to make time for in my life, and it seems that I have just added "writing on the blog" to that list.

Anyway, here's a fascinating animated graph of job loss over the past two years, by county. You can see month-by-month data, or press the "play" button to see it movie-like. The last six months are pretty impressive, but not in a good way. (This was pretty fast when I played it at work, but pretty slow at home.)

Also, here is a darling music video made up of slices of shredded still frames. I liked it quite a lot (the music is pretty decent also). (It was Andrew's mental health break today.) The description says: "Every third frame of the footage was printed, shredded and shot three times blended with adjacent frames by different stripes configuration."

Favorite sentence of the day, from a strange book excerpt I found on Slate (yes, I see there are two sentences. The first one is just context.): "The first few months after the birth of the first baby are fairly blissful. Then the competing elements of the artificial constructions that we grandly call our "lives" become locked in mortal combat."

Items I can't resist mentioning: Best health care in the world, baby! (one of several such stories I've seen lately); Chrysler turns down $175M from the US and tries to get private funding instead, so they can pay the execs more handsomely; one word: Plastics. (Be safe, do *not* read the comments :-)

And finally, in case you missed it, Jon Stewart on the release of the torture memos. (Via Andrew, sorry, sometimes it's just easier.)

Stay tuned for a long and too-serious post about my weekend experience sleeping in the box.

No comments:

Post a Comment