Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Midweek update

Got on the computer tonight for the first time all week, but brain is too fried to comment intelligently. (Played and won one game of Spider Solitaire! That's like two victories.)

Many things not crossed off the to-do list yet, mostly having to do with paperwork and cleaning bathrooms. (Somehow those two items never seem to make it off the bottom of the list.) However, I have managed to get a few things done, so I guess you have to relish the small accomplishments.

We are taking a four-day weekend to go pick up the new camper. Found a KOA today that has "kabins" that they permit dogs in, so we're staying there Friday night with the truck and the dogs. Not really looking forward to nine plus hours in a truck with two dogs on Friday, but I guess it beats being at work. I'm also not looking forward to finishing packing tomorrow night, especially when I have a meeting at church at 6:30 that will no doubt last at least an hour.

Interesting goings-on at work. First, we're all playing musical cubicles. Spending over a month doing a low-impact low-budget seating chart reshuffle (only a few people move each day). I move tomorrow. New cube pretty much like the old cube, except now our whole group will be in the same aisle, which is much better.

Second item is that I've achieved the holy grail of software, a spot on the design team. Except that I really don't like doing design. I much prefer to just execute (implement), and I even prefer tracking down problems to trying to plan what to do and how to do it. Or coming up with task lists and schedules. Or *shudder* sequence diagrams (don't ask).

In addition to being on the design team, I have a sort of mini-lead job, where I'm supposed to be responsible for one of the areas. This is not something I have much experience with, and definitely not something I have any good experience with! :-) It also means I'm supposed to get out of my cube and go interact with people--only very minor progress in that area so far. Maybe I should just make primo candy available in my cube and hope they come to me...

But it's all good no matter how it turns out. I wouldn't have felt that way about it not so long ago, but I've spent a long time playing it safe and you don't get anywhere interesting doing that. The best news is that we really don't have that long to get the design done, and then we'll be back to doing actual work.

No comments:

Post a Comment