Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Funniest tweet of the day

From Glenn Greenwald: 'Great way to start the day: "Maureen Dowd and Thomas L. Friedman are off today." Almost better than coffee.'

You'd need to be familiar with Greenwald... Occasionally Dowd can be pretty funny, but she causes more trouble than she helps on balance. And I used to like Friedman a lot. I still like him most of the time, even though he went all neo-con about Iraq (and his recent torture apologia was horrendous). I have his book From Beirut to Jerusalem from years ago. I thought it was very illuminating when I first read it, and he still seems to have quite a bit of insight into the issues of the Middle East. But a lot of people don't seem to think much of him.

Greenwald himself is not an easy guy to read on a regular basis, but he is essential. He's one of those guys out there on the fringe keeping everyone else honest, at least to some degree. Sort of a Wellstone.

No comments:

Post a Comment