Sunday, May 17, 2009

The Mozart was good

Wild spring weather this weekend--cold windy lower 40s yesterday afternoon, lovely afternoon today and they're saying 80 tomorrow. If this keeps up, we're going to have weird weather this summer.

The Mozart Grand Mass concert went well today. It is always so much fun to sing with an orchestra. I thought the choral parts went quite well. The solos were just plain crazy--if I hadn't heard them myself I would have said they weren't humanly possible. Mozart apparently wrote one of the parts for his wife, she must have been quite a singer. Shari and Kathleen were fabulous. If I had one quibble it would be that there was only one part for Mike, our baritone soloist. After all the high As and Cs his voice sounded impossibly low on the Benedictus--it was cool, and it would have been nice to hear more of it. I will have this stuck in my head for weeks (plus now I just want to listen to the CD again for some strange reason).

After the Mozart we went on to a meeting of a group of people from church called "change agents," people interested in pursuing advocacy to change the system to advance social justice. We decided that for our first area of pursuit would be the proposed budget cut of medical care for people receiving general assistance. For our first meeting we talked about our own interests and ideas, and agreed on our first subject. We'll see where that goes next. I have absolutely no background in anything of any usefulness to this project, but I'm excited about it--I think this is definitely a good thing to be doing.

On another note, I'm entering this post on a new laptop computer. I've thought it would be nice to get one for Tom for years now, but I wouldn't have known what to buy. I recently received a very generous award at work (pretty sure I didn't deserve it), and Tom said NewEgg had a good deal of the week on a laptop. So now we'll have a computer to take camping with us, which will be nice. On a couple waiting lists for Memorial Day weekend, we're still waiting to see if/where we'll be camping.

No comments:

Post a Comment