Friday, March 6, 2009

Inaugural Post

I have stolen the name for the blog from my husband. We began dating in college, and he used to tell me that he had difficulty getting out of bed in the morning because his pillow was singing to him. I have never personally experienced my pillow singing, but as a youth I would have listed "sleeping" as my favorite activity, and it still rates pretty high on the list. Fortunately we have two dogs, or I might never get up in the morning. I highly recommend getting a dog as your children get old enough to be moving out of the house. I hardly have any idea what to do with myself these days as it is, thankfully the dogs usually have plans.

I've been thinking for awhile now that I would like to try doing some writing, and considering how much blog-reading I do you might have thought that starting a blog would have occurred earlier as a means to that end, but it only dawned on me rather recently. I'm glad to find out that it is so easy to do!

I have always loved to read, and I particularly liked reading "columnists," which today happily also includes bloggers. I think it is interesting that writing does not necessarily seem to go hand in hand with reading--it seems like it would be the obvious complement. I finally figured that to get any good at writing, one would probably have to just start doing it, and keep doing it, and see if any improvement happens. In addition, I have all my life had that problem where you are trying to say something, and you need a certain word, but you can't think of it when you need it and have to wave your hand around hoping someone else will come up with it for you. I realize this is a fairly common condition, nonetheless I feel like I'm getting to an age where some might begin to question my mental function if I cannot for the life of me think of what a spatula is called, and perhaps doing some regular writing would improve my word recall speed. (I'm guessing it might not work, but I figure it is worth a try.)

At the moment my only plans for this blog are to add another avenue of possible communication with my children (I learned in church committees that you have to use at least five means of communication if you expect people to hear about your ministry, and I think that is probably a good metric for grown children as well) and entertain myself at the same time. I'm trying to tell myself that this will be a better expenditure of my energy than Spider Solitaire, but I guess that remains to be seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment