Wednesday, March 18, 2009

To Be Outraged or Not To Be Outraged

I was trying to figure out where the post I wrote this morning went, and eventually I realized it is in a file on my computer at work. I can't actually get at this blog from work, unless I do it through my Blackberry. I wrote a post at work and didn't email it to myself at google, so now it is old news. (I can't get to google docs from work either! It's kind of like an alternate reality.)

I was listening to radio stories during my morning commute about the AIG bonuses, and the story seems to have since gone meta. Who is outraged, who is not. What it says about you if you are or are not outraged. Plus: Limbaugh and Hannity think the bonuses are fine.

The most annoying thing to me is the play acting. The politicians having to look shocked and disappointed that their banking buddies would do this awful thing. The CEO having to sadly declare that it was simply necessary, nothing anyone could do. Meanwhile, none of this even happens until the button has already been pressed, the automated deposits have already gone through, ka-ching--it's a done deal. Not like there's really a thing you can do about it now, congress and their tax plans notwithstanding.

So, if you're inclined to be outraged, check out Maureen Dowd. If you're looking for patience and the long view, I would suggest Tom Friedman.

No comments:

Post a Comment